The Institute of Environmental Research and Sustainable Development
(IERSD) is one of the five institutes that constitute the
of Athens (NOA), the oldest research center in Greece
(the first meteorological observations began in 1846). For
more information about the National Observatory of Athens
visit NOA's main WEB site.
IERSD's premises are situated in two main sites: the historical
Thissio site and the newly established Penteli site.
Only few offices of IERSD are still
hosted in the historical buildings at Thissio site of
NOA , located on the small hill of Nymphs, overlooking
IERSD building in Thissio
IERSD building in Penteli
|Since 2001, most IERSD offices
have relocated to the new premises at Penteli mountain.
The building is located on the small hill "Koufos", about
15km from the center of Athens.
IERSD is staffed by:
- The Director
- Scientific personnel (permanent)
- Technical and administrative personnel (permanent)
- Scientists involved in research projects on a contract
The IERSD's aim is to promote environmental science and engineering.
The IERSD is active in the following thematic areas:
- Meteorology / Weather Forecast
- Climatology and Climate Change
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
- Atmospheric Pollution monitoring and modelling
- Solar and Wind Energy
- Climate Change
- Resource Management and Sustainable Development
- Hydrology / Hydraulics
- Water Resources Engineering
- Numerical Modelling
- Remote Sensing / Radar Meteorology
- Energy Planning and Conservation
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
The goals of IERSD's research and technology policy are:
- Expanding the Institute's research activities and International
- Modernizing the Institute's scientific instruments, automating
all activities related to meteorological observations and
integrating all available data into a modern electronic
- Participation in Research Projects.
- Training and Consultancy Services to Third Parties.
The Institute is funded by the Hellenic Government, through
the Secretariat for Research and Technology, of the Greek
Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs, research
projects (National, European, and International) and services
offered to public and private entities.